MA in Art History at UC Riverside (2015-2017)
MFA in Painting at Laguna College of Art and Design (2010-2012)
BA in Fine Arts & BA in Neuroscience at University of Southern California (2005-2009)
SOLO AND TWO PERSON EXHIBITIONS
• Close to the Surface, B-minus Studios, Santa Ana, CA September 2016
• Flora and Fauna, Studio C Gallery, Los Angeles, CA January 2016
• Transitions, Arena 1 Gallery, Santa Monica, CA June 2013
• NATURE | NURTURE, Exhibit [A] Gallery, Long Beach, CA August 2012
• Sex and Sports: Exploring the Condition of the Modern Female Athlete, Lindhurst Gallery, USC, Los Angeles CA September 2009
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
• Lay of the Land, Arts Longmont Gallery, Longmont, CO May 2018
• Celebration for the Animals, Platteforum Gallery, Denver, CO April 2018
• Pink Progression: Postcard Art Exhibition, Boulder Public Library, Denver, CO March 2018
• Regis College Art Faculty Exhibition, O'Sullivan Gallery, Denver, CO October 2017
• Symmetry in Motion, Studio C Gallery, Los Angeles, CA September 2016
• (En)Gendered (In)Equity: The Gallery Tally Poster Project, LACE, Los Angeles, March 2016
• Body of Water, El Camino College, CA September 2015
• Collector’s Choice, Montage Resort, CA September 2015
• CAP: Emerging Artists, Laguna Beach, CA June-August 2015
• Folding Light, Five Column Art Studio, Los Angeles, CA June 2015
• Water-Line Exhibition, Studio C Gallery, Los Angeles, CA May 2015
• Bloom, Five Column Art Studio, Los Angeles, CA April 2015
• Divergence: Faculty Biennial, Rio Hondo Community College, March 2015
• LCAD Faculty Exhibition, February 2015
• Des Femmes Exhibition, Studio C Gallery, Los Angeles, CA December 2014
• Post-it, Group Show, B Minus Studios, Santa Ana, CA November 2014
• All Media Exhibition, Irvine Fine Arts Center, Irvine, CA September 2014
• Collector's Choice, Laguna College of Art and Design, Laguna Beach, CA June 2014
• Oniera: I Dream of Self, Studio C Gallery, Los Angeles, CA June 2014
• Gallery Tally, For Your Art, Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA March 29th 2014
• Women in Art, Las Laguna Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA November 2013
• (en)Gendered (in)Equity, West LA College Art Gallery, Los Angeles, CA October 2013
• Magnitude 7, Manifest Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio June 2013
• MFA 2013, Laguna Art Museum, Laguna Beach, CA May 2013
• The Flip Side, LCAD Faculty Show, Gallery 793, Laguna Beach, CA March 2013
• Connections, Lynn J Gallery, Buena Park, CA November 2012
• Bits and Pieces, Linus Gallery, Pasadena, CA October 2012
• The Realist Perspective, Gallery 533, Los Angeles, CA August 2012
• Artists Remember the Year 1942, Group Exhibition, OC Great Park, Irvine, CA July 2012
• Magnitude 7.7, Manifest Gallery Cincinnati, Ohio June 2012
• Consequences, Arc Studios and Gallery, San Francisco, CA May 2012
• LCAD MFA Exhibition, Laguna Art Museum, Laguna Beach CA May 2012
• Nature Exhibit, Linus Gallery, Pasadena, CA October 2011
• Urban Ocean, Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA June 2011
• Student, Mentor, Faculty Exhibition, House of Balsamic, Irvine, CA May 2011
• MFA Faculty and Student Show, Irvine Arts Center, Irvine CA February 2011
• Apocalypse Wow! Group exhibition, Pacific Design Center, West Hollywood CA December 2009
• NCAA Art Exhibition, Group exhibition, NCAA Convention Center, Washington DC, MD Jan. 2009
• Louis Galen Annual Artletics Exhibition, Galen Center, USC, Los Angeles, CA February/March 2008.
• Advanced Drawing Exhibition, Watt Hall, USC, Los Angeles, CA April 2008
• Summer Exhibition, Santa Reparata, Florence, Italy, August 2007
• Artletics Exhibition, Heritage Hall, USC, Los Angeles, CA April 2006
• Annual Undergraduate Student Exhibition, Fisher Museum, USC, Los Angeles, CA May 2006.
AWARDS & HONORS
• GLUCK Arts Fellowship UC Riverside 2016-2017
• The Stobart Foundation Grant 2015-2016
• 21 Under 31 Southwest Art Magazine September 2015
• Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant for Representational Painters Fall 2013
• Gallery Favorite Award, Bits and Pieces Exhibition, Linus Gallery Fall 2012
• Curator’s Choice Award, Nature Exhibition, Linus Gallery Fall 2011
• 2nd place in Painting Urban Ocean Festival Spring 2011
• LCAD President Award Fall 2010
• USC Presidential Scholar 2005-2009
• Phi Beta Kappa 2008
• David X. Marks Foundation Scholar athlete 2007-2008
• USC Dean's List Fall 2005- Fall 2009
• 2007-2008 Pac-10 Conference All-Academic First Team
• PAC 10 Scholar Athlete Women’s Rowing 2009
PUBLICATIONS & PRESS
• Cover Art No Slam Dunk: Gender, Sport and the Unevenness of Social Change (Critical Issues in Sport and Society), April, 2018.
• “21 under 31.” Southwest Art Magazine September 2015
• River’s Voice: Journal of Art & Literature, Rio Hondo College. Vol 16, May 2015
• "Robin Hextrum." Post-Modern Times 1.3 (2014): 28-33.
• “Oneira: I Dream of Self’ at Studio C Gallery in Los Angeles” by John Seed. Huffington Post. June 18th 2014
• Marin IJ, “Art of the athlete: Stinson's Hextrum excels as a painter and rower at USC,” July 7th, 2009.
• "All Things Trojan," by Adam Rose, Los Angeles Times/ Blogs, image of "In Contemplation of a Race."
• USC Report, "Artletics Exhibition at Galen Center," page 12, February 12, 2008.
• The Angell Foundation. Los Angeles, CA.
• UC Berkeley Athletic Office. Berkeley, CA.
• USC Rowing Office, Heritage Hall, Los Angeles, CA.
I worked with a team of fellow graduate student curators at UC Riverside to design, develop and curate an exhibition titled Unruly Bodies: Dismantling Larry Clark’s Tulsa at the California Museum of Photography. I played an instrumental role in the background research, conceptual development and exhibition design for the show. I also wrote an essay for the museum catalog connected to this show titled “Rebel Masculinities.” This essay compared the depiction of masculinity in Danny Lyon’s photographic series Bikeriders and Larry Clark’s photo series Tulsa.
LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
REGIS UNIVERSITY: “Art & the Environment,” Guest lecture about environmental themes in my creative work for Professor Alyse Knorr’s course Nature, Literature, and the Ecological Self at Regis University, September 21st 2017.
LCAD: “Developing and Proposing Curriculum.” Guest Lecture at LCAD’s MFA program about the process of designing and developing a new course. September 24th, 2014.
CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY: "Shunga: Erotic Art in Edo Japan." Guest Lecture at Chapman University for an Asian Art History Course taught by Ed Fosmire. April 20th, 2014.
LCAD: "Fractal Geometry and Art." Guest Lecture at LCAD for a Critical Reasoning course under Grant Hier. March 2014.
THE REPRESENTATIONAL ART CONFERENCE: "Biases in Aestheticizing the Human Form: A Call for Racial and Gender Awareness in Representational Artwork." Academic Paper Presentation at the TRAC Conference, Ventura March 4th 2014.
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA "Sex and Sports"
November 2008, November 2009 and November 2010
For three years running I gave a guest lecture to Michael Messner's Sociology Class at USC about how I conveyed gender issues in sports through my artwork.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF VISUAL ART, FINE AND PERFORMING ARTS DEPARTMENT
REGIS UNIVERSITY (FALL 2017 – PRESENT)
- Design Foundation
- Intro to Painting
- Advanced Painting
- Art in Culture
- Intro to Drawing
TEACHING ASSISTANT UC RIVERSIDE (FALL 2016 – SPRING 2017)
- Western Art: Prehistoric to Byzantine
- Modern Western Visual Culture
PART TIME FACULTY LAGUNA COLLEGE OF ART & DESIGN
FINE ARTS/LIBERAL ARTS DEPARTMENTS (SPRING 2013 – SPRING 2017)
- Math, Science & Art: The Golden Ratio to Neuroaesthetics, Laguna College of Art and Design
- The Voyeuristic Gaze: The Depiction of Women in Art from Edo Japan and Europe, Laguna College of Art and Design
- Perspective Drawing
- Gender in Popular Culture
- Contemporary Still Life Painting
- Portfolio Development
- Graduate Advisor, Laguna College of Art and Design MFA program
- Figure Drawing Workshop Instructor
PART TIME FACULTY, FINE ARTS DEPARTMENT
RIO HONDO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (SRPING 2016 – FALL 2016)
- Introduction to Art, Rio Hondo Community College
- Intermediate and Advanced Drawing, Rio Hondo College
TEACHING ASSISTANT, LAGUNA COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (FALL 2011 – SPRING 2014)
- Teaching Assistant for Sergio Rebia in Drawing Fundamentals
- Teaching Assistant for Betty Shelton in Advanced Portraiture
- Teaching Assistant for Jonathan Burke in Drawing Fundamentals
- Teaching Assistant for James Galindo in Perspective Drawing
- Teaching Assistant for William Havlicek in Aesthetics
The Voyeuristic Gaze: The Depiction of Women in Art from Edo Japan and Europe
I proposed, designed and developed this course in its entirety. It currently serves as a non-western art history requirement at Laguna College of Art and Design. Through an examination of the representation of women from Edo Japan and Europe, this course demonstrates the interdisciplinary connections between visual arts and gender studies
Math Science and Art: The Golden Ratio to Neuroaesthetics
I proposed, designed and developed this course to satisfy LCAD’s math requirement. This course explores the intersections between mathematics, science, and art. It covers topics including, but not limited to: geometry, optics, psychology, neuroscience, and physics. Each lecture and discussion delves into the fascinating interplay between different disciplines, providing both a lesson in mathematics and the historical context of where and how that math has been applied.
Undergraduate Research Assistant for Sociology professor Michael Messner for the 2010 journal article on Gender in Televised Media (Summer-Fall 2009)
• Gender in Televised Sports News and Highlights Shows 1989-2009. CO-Investigators: Michael Messner, Ph.D & Cheryl Cooky Ph.D., Research Assistant: Robin Hextrum. June 2010
• "Rebel Masculinities." Essay published in the Museum Catalog for Unruly Bodies: Larry Clark’s Tulsa 2016
• "Biases in Aestheticizing the Human Form: A Call for Racial and Gender Awareness in Representational Artwork." Academic Paper Presented at the TRAC Conference, Ventura March 4th 2014.